In 1985 Electronics Service & Training Centre was decided to be set up at Ramnagar, Nainital, U.P., INDIA, on the outskirts of famous Jim Corbett National park . Ramnagar and its surrounding areas offer ideal climatic conditions and pollution free atmosphere conducive to the establishment of an integrated industrial electronics complex. The trend at that time was saturation of industries in and around urban areas, therefore, need was felt for industrial development in rural areas.
ESTC was registered as a Government of India Society in April 1986 under the U.P. Society Act. Originally the project was started by three partners i.e.
1. Government of India - responsible for manpower cost, capital investment in plant and machinery and meeting other running expenses of the centre.
2. Government of Uttarakhand - responsible for providing infrastructural support such as land, buildings, water, electricity etc.
3. UNIDO/UNDP- responsible for providing technical expert help, training to ESTC personnel outside the country and supply of specialised equipment and machines from abroad. UNDP assistance was available from 1986 to 1992.
To support development of Electronics and IT Industries.
The objectives for setting up ESTC can be divided into:-
(A) Development Objectives:-
1. To support the development of an industrial base for contemporary production processes and technologies in the field of electronics & IT.
2. To support the Socio-economic development of the rural hilly areas.
(B) Specific Objectives:-
1. To train personnel in the areas of electronics, IT, including emerging technologies.
2. To provide common facilities to the entrepreneurs in the region
3. To render counselling and guidance to new entrepreneurs in setting up of small scale electronic and IT units.
4. To develop products and processes involving advanced technologies in Industry.
5. To evolve a consultancy cell for the small scale industries in the region.
6. To establish library - cum - documentation centre.
7. To identify and promote ancillary industrial units for the large / medium entrepreneurs in the region.
8. To conduct market research and development of the products for domestic and export market.